Well, my Second Life (SL) avatar, Iain Wise, tells me that he has started up an official group in SL for anyone who was at the conference or who works at the university to join. The group is called, rather imaginatively, "NUI, Galway." If you want to join and perhaps meet up for an exploration and some 'in world' seminars and discussions, then please do. Second Life membership is free and the membership of this group is also without charge.
So why not give it a go? As you'll see there are many universities and other organisations within SL (Sweden even has an embassy!). Go to http://www.secondlife.com/ and follow the instructions. Once you get 'in world' and sort out your avatar's appearance, basic controls, etc, then click on 'search' at the bottom of the window and type in NUI, Galway and then choose 'join group'. Let's see if you can manage that.
It's odd at first, but honestly you'll get the hang of it. Iain, in the meantime, will try to contact some experts and arrange some sessions with them, as well as tours of various education locations (including, for example, Harvard University's Berkman Centre). Oh, there's a handy pub called "The Blarney Stone" in SL's version of Dublin city centre, just along from Trinity College, so if you fancy a virtual pint of Guinness and to try Irish dancing....
- Interesting project from OU and others, is schome.
- Harvard Distance Learning courses in SL: example of Law, intro for students
- JISC (UK) online conference, Second Life session in YouTube. (I know, it's getting out of hand!)
- Sloodle - first attempts to integrate SL with a VLE, interesting project at University of Paisley & partners in San Jose State University.
- Article in Times Higher this week on campuses in SL.