Sunday 17 February 2013

Being Human #edcmooc

In week 3 of #edcmooc, we were asked to "create an image that represents or illustrates any one of the themes you have encountered in the course so far". Well, I'm not particularly creative when it comes to images, so I decided quite quickly that this was one part of the course that I might not take part in.

On Wednesday I struggled with some of the readings around humanism and post-humanism. I will talk about this in my blog post reflecting on week 3, coming soon (I hope). Anyway, I couldn't get my head around the theories and by Thursday morning was really feeling deflated.

On Thursday lunchtime I had an opportunity to go to a free lunchtime concent on campus, arranged by the Arts In Action group. The recital was given by Luisa Sello, a flautist, who has travelled the world as a recitalist and chamber musician. I had a lot of work to do, and I really thought twice about walking the few hundred metres to the venue, thinking I might be better to just work through lunch. In the end, I decided to make the effort, and I'm glad I did.

As she started playing, and the room went silent apart from her beautiful music, I felt myself relax. Before long, I was caught up in the emotion of the music. For that hour, it became clear to me what being human is all about. Through her music, Luisa reached out to my inner being, call it a soul if you like.

Thinking of the image competition, I quickly snapped a photo on my phone.
Being Human
cc licensed ( BY NC SA ) flickr photo by sharonlflynn: http://flickr.com/photos/sharonlflynn/8474882391/
Related
E-Learning and Digital Cultures: Week 1 Reflection
E-Learning and Digital Cultures: Week 2 Reflection
E-Learning and Digital Cultures: Week 3 Reflection

No comments: